Thursday, August 11, 2011

Goin' to the Chapel.


Mid-1800's "Candlewicking" Fabric (Ebay, $15)
 
Dress, Made by Me.
Bow Belt, Made by Me.  

1970's Purple Espadrilles (SVDP, $4)



It's such a beautiful day today!  Wow.  I'm going to be spending most of my day here at the store making/getting things ready for some goings-ons that are happening tonight.  I wish I could tell you more, but it has to be shrouded in secrecy... you understand.  :)


So, to my surprise, I won this fabric off of Ebay.  It's 'candlewicking' fabric from the 1800's.  The seller was selling some of her great grandma's things, and I loved it at first sight!  There was about 3-4 yards, but was tattered and discolored, so I had to do a lot of piecing with this dress.  Oh man- I had a rough times with this one!  I think I was SO nervous to mess something up, that I pretty much messed everything up, lol.  But it came out wearable!  Thank the dress gods!  Anyway, I'm so glad that the fabric will be cherished, and made into something that can be used :). 


In case you aren't familiar with this type of fabric, I'll give you some history.  It is basically cotton/muslin/canvas, that was embroidered with the same material that was also used for candle wicks.  It was all hand done (obviously, haha), and has rough knotting on the unseen side.  It looks so cool in person!  I tried REALLY hard to get a good close up, but eh, it really is something you have to see up close.  So, if you ever get the chance, check some out!  
Final Verdict:  I loved the fabric, my sewing machine: not so much.



Uh, we got a new phone at the store... and I got a little too excited...  :)





RIP Sassy Sue aka Susan Lou.  Just got the call...  You will be missed :(.  
This has been a really hard year as far as animals are concerned...  I grew up with 4 dogs that were all around the same age...  Sassy was the baby of the family.  She was a miniature Dotson, but was not miniature in the personality department!  She just turned 16 last week, so she lived a long life.  But as you know, that doesn't make it any easier.


Just got a call that some buyers are coming, so I better hop off.  I hope tonight's festivities go well. 
Until tomorrow, ally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment