Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Folk.


1960's Velvet Beret (Vtg. Store, $?)
1960's Gold Fabric/Green Tablecloth (Etsy, $16 for both)
Dress, Sewn by Me.  (1960's Pattern)
Black Flats



Hey!  I finally made this dress, woohoo!  I had the fabric for a couple weeks, and was a little scared to cut it (so silly).  Sigh.  It's definitely my best dress yet, and think the fabrics go together perfectly :).  I purchased both fabrics on Etsy; the gold being regular fabric, and the green living a former life as a tablecloth.  I searched for about two weeks for a fabric to go with the gold, and the second I saw the green, I knew it was meant to be (yes, I get this serious with fabric, haha). 


Have you ever seen the movie 'Shopgirl'?  Oh, it's a fantastic movie; especially if you are a fan of 'My so Called Life' (includes Claire Danes' inner thoughts).  It was written by Steve Martin, and stars Claire & Jason Schwartzman (two of my FAVORITE actors).  I love the feel of the movie, and is really great to watch in the Fall or Winter...  The part that I'm thinking of specifically, is when Jason's character goes on tour with the band 'Sun Kil Moon'.  Him and the lead singer are in Best Buy looking for music/etc. to listen to on the road.  The lead singer suggests that they buy a bunch of self help cd's, particularly pro-love/self esteem choices.  To this, Jason laughs (he is extremely "immature" in the first half of the movie, pushing Claire into the arms of a much older man), but buys them anyway.  I won't tell you what happens after that, but he is greatly affected by this advice.  I think that brings up such a good point when it comes to men and their relationships with older, wiser men.  The effect of their comments (men who are confident in their own thoughts/beliefs, when it comes to women/enlightenment) seems to be so great, yet few and far between.  But to me, as a woman, and someone who thinks so much that these lessons are more forced/forged personally, I find that way of learning to be really beautiful. 


Oh.  If you listen to NPR, the Diane Rehm show today on gender equality was awesome!  The second half in particular..  Listen here:


So, there is a vegan friendly restaurant in Cincinnati, that I recently learned has a brunch filled with vegan goodies such as 'biscuits & gravy', 'geotta', etc.  Being that I stopped eating meat way before I moved to Kentucky, I had never had biscuits & gravy, or the latter.  I was excited to see what all the hoopla was about, so we went to check it out, and I ordered both.  Dear god.  I seriously ate one biscuit and was full.  Let me just say, that it should be called gravy soup with a couple of floating biscuits, haha.  I have to say, I wasn't too impressed, and can't imagine how heavy I would feel if I actually ate the REAL version.  Whoo.  Sorry B&G lovers out there!  I mean, it was OK, but eh, I just felt really tired after.  That being said, I'm glad I finally got to try it :). 


People, the day has finally come!!!  The 'They Might Be Giants' concert is tonight!  We bought the tickets like 3 months ago, so it's been a long wait.  It's a million times more exciting because the venue is our favorite to see shows at, and is only a few blocks away.  I.  Can't.  Wait.  <3


I'll leave you with some stills from 'Shopgirl', followed by TMBG. 
Have a great day!
ally.


No comments:

Post a Comment