Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sweetheart.


 
1950's style Sweetheart Dress
-made by me-
(materials: $8)
Black Sandals ($9)

 


I finished this dress yesterday, and it has now become my favorite handmade dress yet! 
I've been searching for a 'Sweetheart' neck dress for a while now with no luck, so I decided to make one.
Have you noticed that even in the past year vintage clothing has skyrocketed in price?  It's getting a little annoying; especially if you're someone who liked "vintage" in the first place because of cheapness and originality (me).  Sewing has created an amazing outlet for me to capture that feeling without the hassle- I can make exactly what I want, and no one else has it :). 

Not being able to find a sweetheart neckline dress pattern for under $30 (yeah right, lol), I took an existing bodice (my tried and true pattern), and drafted a new neckline.  I'm so happy with how it turned out!  I used a thick paper so I can save it, although I already want to make it a little more extreme (angle wise). 

The fabric is soooooo soft; and it you see it in person, the black looks faded and washed out, which I absolutely love!  All in all, this dress has given my sewing inspiration the kick it needed.




I've been riding my bike to work everyday, which does not meld very well with blog post worthy outfits, haha. 
Have I posted since our show?  WELL, if not, it went great!  I'm so happy to get back into playing shows, and to have some new people who add some fresh perspective. 
Truth be told, I have been playing my guitar instead of sewing as of late; and I even have a new guitar to show for it!!!  Ahhh, it's a beauty...  (I'll post a pic at the bottom of the post).  It's a sea foam green pearl Telecaster :).  It sounds awesome, and feels so smooth.  I've always been an acoustic player, but have wanted an electric for ages.  So glad I took the leap- no regrets here. 


I will be joining Jimmy's family on a trip to Jamaica May 15th (!!!).  This knowledge has thrown me head first into creating my summer wardrobe!  I have so many ideas, and I'm happy to have some sort of deadline to work torward :).  Inspiration:

Sweetheart necks, Banana Hair clips, Ruffle crop tops, Novelty shorts/pants, B & W sundresses, Landscape patterns, Daisy's, Ruching, Embroidery.

 


Last night we started watching 'Life's too Short', which stars Warwick Davis, Ricky Gervais & Stephen Merchant.  Oh my god, it is so hilarious- I was crying in the first 30 minutes, haha.  I love Ricky and Stephen, but man, Warwick Davis is so funny!  There are also walk ons by other celebrities like:  Johnny Depp, Laim Neeson, Helena Bonham Carter, Cat Deeley, etc.  If you like comedies, check it out!!!  I can't believe it took us so long to start watching it. 

I have to post a bunch of things on Etsy today, so I must go...


Have a great day!  ally.

I'll leave you with this baby:

No comments:

Post a Comment